how design a USB Analog to digital Card with FT232?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_b_mofidi

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
chip design for usb

Hi,
I want to design a USB Analog to digital card with FT232(USB/Serial convertor).
I want to have a minimun 10Ksample/sec data conversion rate.then i want to send this data via USB port to PC & for USB handling i want to use FT232.
I can use any A/D convertor 12bit up to 16bit.serial or parallel convertor.
I know maximum baud rate of FT232 is 921600 bit/sec.so we can have 921600/(10*2byte)=46080 sample/sec maximum frequncy of transfrring data if we use 2 byte for transferring of data.or if we use START Byte & CRC Byte in our packet, we have 23040 packet/sec(or sample/sec).so in theoretical calculation it is possible to reach this sampling rate.for real discusstion,i suppose AD574A for A/D chip.a 12 bit A/D.
Now,first,I want to connect this chip to a microcontroller(anyone).but i think no one of microcontroller support this serial communication baud rate.is it true?
also if it is possible,which micro?is it a ATMEGA?
second,for connection to FT232,should i connect just RX,TX to FT232 chip?in FTDI documentation, i read for high transferring rate,it is better to use CTS,RTS & full handshaking.Also it must set in low package setting for internal FT232 chip buffer?

ft232 handshaking

If you want a constant data flow the handshaking will probably hinder it. You'll have to choose a microcontroller that can constantly supply data to the UART that fast, picking a crystal that matches your baud rate will make things easier.

ft232 analog to digital

Would you get better bandwidth with the 8 bit parallel FT245?
I was thinking about something similar for a o-scope.

m_b_mofidi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
this is good idea,but also I know there is some oscope with using FT232.also I have same idea for o-scope

Status
Not open for further replies.