Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How could I take input in 8051 without sending a '1' to the port latch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayanthyk192

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

while taking input to 8051,in C,i used to never send a '1' to the port latch.now i know the architecture and realized that i had to send a 1 to the latch.but even when i did'nt do this the inputs used to be proper external inputs.how is this possible?does the compiler put an extra instruction wherever the inputs are taken?

thank you.

Re: taking input in 8051

I don't believe compilers set it to a 1 before an input. More likely you are just forcing the I/O to a specific level. The input buffer is always active and will read the actual level of the pin regardless of the output buffer setting. Setting the output buffer high or tristate allows the input to override the output level and be read correctly. If the output is left set to 0 and a 1 is forced externally, the output buffer will be stressed and generate some heat but the input buffer will read the level correctly.

Ray

Hi,

When a 8051 restarts (or Power up) it loads all ports with 0xff (like when you want to use it as input). if you don't use a Pin as a bi-directional Pin (for both Input and output) , you usually don't need to reload it every time with 1 to act as input.

Hi,

When a 8051 restarts (or Power up) it loads all ports with 0xff (like when you want to use it as input). if you don't use a Pin as a bi-directional Pin (for both Input and output) , you usually don't need to reload it every time with 1 to act as input.

I clearly remember that i never used to give 1's or 0's for i/o.i used to directly use the pins as input or output.i think rhaynes is right.

hi

normally there will not be any problem,and it's a good practice to pull up the port pins as most of the us do.
when you are using the same pins as Input and output, without any IC's in between, there could be a problem.in such cases you have to write a 1 to the pin which you have to read.

ml

hi

normally there will not be any problem,and it's a good practice to pull up the port pins as most of the us do.
when you are using the same pins as Input and output, without any IC's in between, there could be a problem.in such cases you have to write a 1 to the pin which you have to read.

ml

thank you for the reply.i never used any port pull ups except for P0.i realize now the reason for my MC burning(actually 4).as you said using pull ups is a good practice.i studied that in MC book by Mazidi.

thanks again,all of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back