Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can we pass a decimal value in the module Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

appu1985

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to pass a value of o.o1 to module and it gets multiplied to some value inside.
Now if idefine it as a parameter it does not get implemented. what to do.

I assume you are trying to write a *behavior* model, not RTL.
did you try declare a variable/parameter of real type, and assign 0.01 to it in a "initial" block?

if i want write a synthesizable code then wat is required

In Verilog, a value such as 0.01 is called "real".

In a perfect world, a Verilog parameter can be real, but beware that many software tools, especially synthesis tools, have limited support for real. Which Verilog compiler are you using?

I am using Xilinx ISE 9.1 can a real parameter be synthesized and for peforming operaions as Multiply , add , sub canbe performed simply by using the operators or we need to implement floating point arithmatic.

No, XST (the HDL synthesizer in ISE 9.1) doesn't synthesize Verilog "real" arithmetic. Maybe in some future version. It's a messy thing to do in a device that doesn't have floating-point math hardware.

ISE includes a configurable floating-point arithmetic core. Maybe you can use it. Open a Core Generator project and look under "Math Functions".
**broken link removed**

Or maybe you can redesign your algorithm to use integer arithmetic. The results will be a lot smaller and maybe faster than using floating-point cores.

Maybe you can try using Fixed point arithmetic. If you are really interested in Hardware Arithemetic Circuits let me direct you to the book titled " Synthesis of Arithmetic Circuits - FPGA, ASIC and Embedded Systems", it is one hell of a comprehensive book on hardware number crunching, I am in the midst of completing it and am really enjoying it.

can u provide me the ebook of it pls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back