Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can we calculate the sqrt(2)*Zl of a rat race coupler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elektr0

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rat race coupler

Hello,

i guess the impedance sqrt(2)*Zl of the inner ring of a rate race coupler is because we want equal power split.

How can we calculate this sqrt(2)*Zl.
Assuming simple parallel connection of two lines does not give the right result.

elektr0

Re: rat race coupler

I have been looking at a similar question for a T junction. Pozar, "Microwave Engineering" notes that it is not possible to match all ports in a three port splitter (chapter eight). I have used the √2 used for rat races with good results. I was rushed and did not question why.

My current suspicion is that this choice reduces s22 and s33 at the expense of s11. I intend to look at the isolation and insertion loss interactions in more detail to see how they are effected by the input and output impedances. I am currently interested in an equal power split.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back