Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can i turn on my PDA w/o pressing any buttons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHoCK2xTc

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want the cheapest most simple way to turn on my PDA w/o pressing any of the buttons. i am hoping that infrared can be used, but i dont really know anything about infrared except that it requires line of sight. any ideas or suggestions??

Hi, need more info.

you need to turn on your pda via IR

or you want to control your pda IR or RF

and what PDA are, palm, windows, linux etc and model.

i would like to turn on my pda via IR if thats possible. i understand that if the pda is on i can send/receive data thru IR but that has nothing to do with my project needs. someone told me that the reason why dvd players and tvs turn on via IR is because they are actually on all the time, just running at very low power consumption which may or may not be possible with a pda. i am not sure if that is accurate but i assume what they said is true.

dell axim x5 windows based o/s

Hi, yes is true. the main problem have to be the stand by power. but you can make your own interface. if you look for Dell Axim X5 pinout on google. you gone a see two interfaces 1 USB and 1 Serial, if you see the manual or internet your pda has wake up on serial, this mean if the serial has activity the pda wakeup, and has +5V output. for me the easy way is use a micro PIC or AVR, and decode a IR to use like Power On. some people use similar interfaces for turn on the PC on Wake UP on LAN. here some examples.

**broken link removed**

and one more, if your pda detect your wall adapter. turn ON, you can use this future too. and becareful read all you can about it. do this if you what you do.

letme know if helps. sorry for my bad english

i appreciate the help with the infrared/serial combination but i think i am starting to stray away from the infrared solution.

let me explain my project a little bit more. you get to work and you park your car. when your car's ignition turns off it sends an rf signal to our pda which runs a gps program and stores the cars position. you work a long hard day. you get out of work 10 hours later (2 hours to work out and eat lunch of course) and forgot where you parked. you turn on your pda the stored position becomes the destination and the software navigates you back to your car.

the problem is the rf signal only reaches the car if the pda is turned on. having to turn on the pda by pushing a button ruins the automated aspect we are trying to accomplish. infrared isnt that much better if we need line of sight for it to work.

i am very interested in the WAKE UP ON LAN and i will see if that might be an alternative approach.

thank you for your help, other people are free to jump in too!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back