Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can i Test PICs !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassenman

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi All,

Is there anyway to test and make sure a PIC is working (hardware speaking) without considering buying another one ?

I mean, i have an old PIC16F84 and i wanted to use it but i can't read/ write it .
and Winpic 800 can't detect it anymore.

Regards,
Hassen.

blueroomelectronics said:
Time to buy a better PIC, the 16F628A is better and cheaper than the ancient 16F84.

No offence friend, but that doesn't answer my question ! (is it spam !!)

Thanks for the advice though.

Since your only tool for testing the PIC is your programmer and the PIC isn't talking then get another PIC. You can't use a typical test gear to test the PIC and I'm sure the cost of another programmer is higher than a replacement PIC.

Since your only tool for testing the PIC is your programmer and the PIC isn't talking then get another PIC. You can't use a typical test gear to test the PIC and I'm sure the cost of another programmer is higher than a replacement PIC.

Thanks for your reply blueroomelectronics, i'm sure i've already seen a little test circuit for PICs but can't find it anymore.
It was a few resistors circuit that connects some of PIC pins and by measuring the voltage across 2 pins of the PIC you can tell if it's still responding or not. . .

hassenman said:
hi All,

Is there anyway to test and make sure a PIC is working (hardware speaking) without considering buying another one ?

I mean, i have an old PIC16F84 and i wanted to use it but i can't read/ write it .

Regards,
Hassen.
You can write some code like a hear beating, once that show up, the code is running.

Added after 44 seconds:

Time to buy a better PIC, the 16F628A is better and cheaper than the ancient 16F84.
True. And most the PIC16 price falls to <US$2.
Wonderful is it?:D

funnynypd said:
hassenman said:
hi All,

Regards,
Hassen.
You can write some code like a hear beating, once that show up, the code is running.

i'm telling you that i can't read/write the pic !!!

hassenman said:
Thanks for your reply blueroomelectronics, i'm sure i've already seen a little test circuit for PICs but can't find it anymore.
It was a few resistors circuit that connects some of PIC pins and by measuring the voltage across 2 pins of the PIC you can tell if it's still responding or not. . .

Highly doubtful, how a couple of resistors and a meter could tell you anything about the goings on inside a PIC is silly.
But if you think that's possible ask over at the Microchip forums.

If the pic is old I think already contains some program try to supply and connect different oscillators (RC and xtal) pull up the MCLR pin and see if there is oscillation, if does probably its fine. Or try to build a simple programmer like jdm in a protoboard, Unless you get another pic or other programmer that is the only thing I think you can do.

regards,

narccizzo

Thanks guys for the tricks,
i'll keep you informed if i find out something.

Regards.
Hassen.

Strongly recommend checking the following staff:
1. Crystal design circuit, make sure the oscillate starts, and working properly
2. Check the WDT setting on your software and hardware configuration.
3. Check the Brown out reset; make sure it is properly set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back