Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can i test phase of the balun in VNA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akhilpaulv

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i want to design a marchand balun for my spiral antenna. how can i test phase of the balun in VNA? how know it working properly ??

use a 3 port VNA and measure it. Or terminate one output port in 50 ohms and measure half of it, then switch the load and measure the other half on a 2 port vna.

This will work fine just so long as the port VSWR on the balun is very good. If you have a poor VSWR, it will give you some amplitude/phase ripple when measuring over a big bandwidth. If you do have a bad VSWR and want to see pain/phase tracking between the two outputs, maybe use two 6 dB pads at the outputs and then make the measurement.

Check the phases and amplitudes of S21 and S31.There should be absolute 180 degree between the ports ( it can be in any combination of absolute 180 degree) and the insertion losses must be minimum.( they should practically be equal)

balun.PNG
Thank you for your replays. i have attached the balun drawing . i have two port VNA. i connected port1(unbalanced coaxial) and port2(output) as per in the image. i found the impedance of the balun by terminating port2 with 50 ohm but i didnt understand how to measure the phase balance of the balun. i measure the phase at port 2 but where did i get reference phase for taking phase difference??

View attachment 119995
Thank you for your replays. i have attached the balun drawing . i have two port VNA. i connected port1(unbalanced coaxial) and port2(output) as per in the image. i found the impedance of the balun by terminating port2 with 50 ohm but i didnt understand how to measure the phase balance of the balun. i measure the phase at port 2 but where did i get reference phase for taking phase difference??
If it's 1:1 BalUn, you may connect either an identical balun back-to-back to measure the performance.
Or, you can terminate balanced ports by VNA and 50 Ohm, you can check the Phase only ( because Gain will be reduced )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back