Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can i test a transistor??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wini-1

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have two transistor NPN & J-FET , How can i test each one to know if they works or not??

thanx.

Most multimeters will test a npn for you.

But the easiest way would be just design a simple emmiter follower or the like, breadboard it and see if it behaves as expected. You'll need a sig-gen and a scope for this, (you could do it with a DC input and volt meter too I suppose). These circuits and their expected behaviour can be found in seconds with a google search.

With a Digital multimeter checking of NPN transistor is easy and as follows:
Set the meter to a diode check. And put the +ive lead on the base of the transistor and -ive on the emitter, it should show for a good transistor a drop between 0.4V to 0.8V and put the -ive lead on collector, same should show. (only difference with minor voltage say B-E=0.560V then B-C=0.540V). If you reverse the leads then no drop should be displayed for a good transistor. And also check C-E leads, it is also not show any drop if transistor is good (provided there is no diode internally connected between C and E).

Regards

hi there,

the most primitive way of testing a transistor is to test each junctions' resistance...

note that a working diode has a forward resistance and it has a reverse resistance equivalent to infinity...

here's what to do, measure the forward and reverse resistance of each of the junction... a non-working transistor will have at least one of the junctions' resistance equivalent to zero value... or both forward and reverse resistance of a junction equal to infinity...

note: a basic VOM will do...

hope it helps...

hi there,

the most primitive way of testing a transistor is to test each junctions' resistance...

note that a working diode has a forward resistance and it has a reverse resistance equivalent to infinity...

here's what to do, measure the forward and reverse resistance of each of the junction... a non-working transistor will have at least one of the junctions' resistance equivalent to zero value... or both forward and reverse resistance of a junction equal to infinity...

note: a basic VOM will do...

hope it helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back