Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I step up voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senate

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
stepup 741 op amp

Hello there, this is my first time posting in this forum. I'm being searching through the internet for this application I'm looking for.

I've got a variable input voltage, I need the voltage to be step up to about 20%. My input voltage varies from 0 V - max 5 V. Is there any circuit that I can use? Is Op-amp requiry? The circuits cant be too big because of confine space.
I've thought of putting a transformer to step it up but due to limited space, I cant...

Thanks in advance for all the help!!!

Hi senate,

Please be more clear regarding the input voltage range, whether you have to drive any load etc.

Generally, any opamp based design with gain of 1.2 should be suffice your needs unless you need to drive more load current.Opamp based design with SMD components does not even occupy space.

regards,
Sudhir.K.A

Thanks so much for the reply Sudhir.K.A.
My Vcc± is 12V, input voltage is variable it will range fr 0V - 5V is from the trottle signal.
I'm trying to step up the voltage by 20% to give the output signal 20% more than normal, hence faster response.
I dun tin it need to drive much load for the output side.

Does the formula works for LM 741
Vgain = (1+Rb/Ra) & will this able to solve my prb or do I have to use DC chopper to step up the voltage, if so how can I solve the timing switch problem

Senate said:
Does the formula works for LM 741
Vgain = (1+Rb/Ra)

This formula will definitely work. For this you have connect the LM 741 opamp in noninverting amplifier configuration. Try it out.

regards,
Sudhir.K.A

If you need to deliver substantially more current to your load than the opamp can deliver, you probably need to use a boost converter which has a gain of 1/(1-D) where D is the duty ratio of your switch. You might be able use a simple IC which only requires a few external components to build a boost converter. Take a look at the National Semiconductor web site **broken link removed**.
Enter in your design information and see what kind of parts/system they recommend.

Best regards,
v_c

Thank you so much Sudhir.K.A & v_c.
I manage to solve my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.