Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I start learning micro-controller programming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what your current background is but in general uC and uP have very similar architecture.

If you want to study theory first then read this:
Computer Organization and Design -- The Hardware/Software Interface.
This book a little long but worth it.

Then read:
Programming & Customizing PICmicro Microcontrollers
This book gives you practical background and some good project.

Then if you want to go to more advanced uC, time to read datasheet and app notes.

You might try Parallax's Board of Education with its BasicStamp module. Good for begineers:)

If it is PIC that you want to stick to, www.mikroelektronica.co.yu is the place you should start at.
It has compilers for BASIC, PASCAL and tomorrow it will release one for C.
There are a couple of FREE on-line books and plenty of examples/ templates.
It also has demo boards and programmers.
Their forum (small) is also very active.

I am sure it will server the purpose of any beginner.

bimbla.

I learn microcontroller started from motorola 68HC11 (using botboard... now no longer available) and then to PIC16C84 (I am stilling playing alot with it).

First, try to find a friend who knows. You can ask him/her for help.

Second, buy all necessary tools: programmer, minimum system, and the chip itself. Prepare yourself with breadboards, soldering iron, cables, etc. (perhaps you won't need this if you purchase a complete development kit which i believe is very expensive). Find some good books for you to try the examples. And make sure you have complete datasheet + documentations for the chip u are using.

Just follow the instructions in the book, and experiment with the examples. Learning by doing is the only way to learn this subject.

I started with 8051, afterwards i study AVR. All of them are cheap, that is why i use them. AT89s's are very cheap and easy to program. I recommend these chips for you to learn.

HI
First download these books and read it

Good luck

elo,
i would like to recommend that you use PIC to learn micro controller.. i will also include PIC tutorial..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back