Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I simulate resistor in MOMENTUM LAYOUT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kchan

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Please someone answer my simple problem. I am beginner user of ADS layout.

I connected one resistor (or capacitor, or inductor from library list icon ) between two simple microstrip line (MLIN) in ADS layout (not schematic), and want to see the simulation result. The result always shows no-signal-transmitting, like S11 is almost equal to 0.

Please let me know any way to simulate component like resistor or capacitor or inductor between MLIN or trace or path.

you need to transfer this design to schematic and then simulate the schematic.

Layout will not support simulations except momentum and FEM solver engines.

Hi,

Actually for simulating such circuits in momentum layout, you need to follow EM-CoSimulation method. Delete all discrete components & ports. Add ports wherever you need to connect these discrete components. Create a model of the same. Now open schematic window, click on component liest. Check for the model which you saved. Drag and drop it in schematic window, which will be layout look alike model. Add ports, ground and remaining discrete components as per your circuit. Remember, port number in schematics (i.e., I/p & o/p ports) should have same port number as assigned in ADS layout. Next step is substrate defination & simulation.

Hope you have a hassle free task following EM-CoSimulation method :D.

Vaibz

Vaibz said:
Hi,

Actually for simulating such circuits in momentum layout, you need to follow EM-CoSimulation method. Delete all discrete components & ports. Add ports wherever you need to connect these discrete components. Create a model of the same. Now open schematic window, click on component liest. Check for the model which you saved. Drag and drop it in schematic window, which will be layout look alike model. Add ports, ground and remaining discrete components as per your circuit. Remember, port number in schematics (i.e., I/p & o/p ports) should have same port number as assigned in ADS layout. Next step is substrate defination & simulation.

Hope you have a hassle free task following EM-CoSimulation method :D.

Vaibz

Thanks a lot for your comments.
I did so many times what you wrote here using EM-cosimulation method. But the result is not good enough for my microstrip bandpass filter using resistors and some inductors.

1)What kind of ports do I have to use for in/output ports, resistors and inductors in momentum layout? I have used single ports for in/output ports and internal ports for resistors and inductors. But the result is not good enough. That's why I asked the way of simulation using layout momentum.

2)Do I have to define substrate in also schematic even if it was defined in momentum layout?

Tell me one thing first!!!!

Do you know how to perform EM-Cosimilation????[/img]

Ok..... Well, you can use same ports for resistors, inductors, etc in layout. Make sure to input ports wherever you want to connect resistors, inductors. Like, for a resistor you need to connect two ports.

Once you are done with port assignment, next step is layout model creation.
Now, drag and drop this layout into schematic. You need not have to define suubstrate in schematics again. Just define the simulation component.

This should solve your problem.

Good Luck!!!

Vaibz

I dont know how to do EM co simulation between momentum layout-ADS schematic. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back