Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I run Linux without actually installing it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nks7

installing linux

how can i run linux without actually installing it

i.e is there any way to run linux from a cd

Re: installing linux

oh no,you cannot do it.......even a software cannot run without installing it,how can an OS 8O

oh no,you cannot do it.......even a software cannot run without installing it,how can an OS

Please do not post answers if you don't understand the topic!!

SuSE linux has some evaluation CD called "live CD"...

You can download it from your nearest SuSE ftp mirror...or check at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/ and download the "live-eval" cd image...

installing linux

u can try knoppix linux cd. this linux has no need for installation,u can work linux ,but u cant save ,move any files in ur drive,but u can view all files

:eek: hi in mendrake linux one version comes which u can run directly from cd itself otherwise u can search for linux which directly boots from cd itself

DrDolittle said:
oh no,you cannot do it.......even a software cannot run without installing it,how can an OS 8O

You can run OS from a cd. u need not even have a hardisk. u can perform the operations necessary.. but i dont have any idea of saving the environment after finishing cause it requires everytime to be written in to a cd.. Will the RAM effectively take part of that? or some additional ROMs have to be used? or it is written every time into the cd?

if there is a hardisk, does this mean that the OS is booted from the cd and then cached to the secondary and primary memory as and wen required and the settigs are stored somewhere..

regards,
arunmi168.

installing linux

A live linux CD runs from the CD and uses the ram not the hard drive.

The most easy to use is the SimplyMEPIS-2004.03 Live Linux CD distro which uses usb pen memory to store data. With SimplyMEPIS you can be using Linux in as little as one minute.

installing linux

No! you cannot run OS from a CD without actually installing it. you can install a VM and install linux on it.

installing linux

I have never seen what you are asking for. However, if you are a Windows user who wants to use Linux occasionally, here is a way to run Linux under Windows without having to partition your drive and all that stuff (similar to edacw1's suggestion):
**broken link removed**

how to install linux application(Such as IC5.0 from cadence) in windows OS, not just run linux os, should I have to install Linux and it compatible with windows 200 in same machine? thanks.

nks7 said:
how can i run linux without actually installing it

i.e is there any way to run linux from a cd

Yes you can with lindows, but with this kind of linux you can't install serious EDA program and run it

installing linux

There are to other methods to run linux without installing. The first is a project called cygwin, it is a tool like colinux. Or a other method is to use ZipSlack. ZipSlack can be installed in to a DOS/Win32 partition. I don't now how it works exactly, If you try to use it please post the expiriences you made.
Links:
www.slackware.com/zipslack
www.cygwin.com

installing linux

Recently,there are many kinds of livecd.
Usually,it contain a browser, open office, etc.

installing linux

BTW : Here is a list of linux Live CD... :
( http://www.uselinux.co.uk/index.php?cPath=2_5&osCsid=954ccf6119dfa6b5bb7db69cd52661b1 )

Live CD are Linux that you can run WITHOUT installing it..
It deploys itself in RAM which it emulate as a Harddrive. You can access you real harddrive by mounting it...

It IS THE SOLUTION for guys who want to use linux occasionnaly, without partitioning their drive, without install anything...

IMHO : knoppix and ubuntu are really cool (based on debian), and some others have a great interst as they are provided in a smaller media...

beLFS Live/Install CD (by C. Lingard)
ClusterKnoppix 3.4 (2004-05-10 EN cl1)
Damn Small Linux 0.9.0.1
DemoLinux 3.01
dyne:bolic 1.3
Feather Linux 0.6.2
FreeSBIE 1.1
Games Knoppix 3.7-0.1
Gnoppix 0.8.2.2 Warty
Knoppix 3.7 (2004-12-08 EN)
Knoppix STD 0.1
LFS Live CD (by J. Utley)
MandrakeMove 2
PCLinuxOS Preview 8
PCLinuxOS Preview 8, Nvidia Edition
SAM Moving Linux 1.1
Sentry Firewall 1.3.0-3 (Stable)
Sentry Firewall 1.5.0-rc15 (Development)
SLAX 4.2.0 Mini CD
SLAX Special: Kill-Bill Mini CD
SLAX Special: Popcorn Mini CD
SUSE 9.2 Live CD
SUSE 9.2 Live CD
SUSE 9.2 Live DVD
Ubuntu 4.10 Live CD

installing linux

can I setup software in these cd ?

installing linux

what you mean ?

add software to the CD ?
install tgz. prog when launch ?

Let me summarize some issues to reach to the open and serious question of qutang and randyding.
1. A computer can boot any OS from different media (remeber the good-old days when Windows was not an OS but was sitting on top of MS-DOS?).
2. LiveCD disrtibutions can boot your computer with Linux and let you "play" with some basic and fixed features without disturbing the OS you have installed in your hard disk.
3. A LiveCD distribution, as any other linux distribution, can mount and see Windows partitions.

What has to be verified by someone who has used it is, is it possible to install other software, not inside the CD, like EDA tools, on the Windows partition with LiveCD distributions? I see no problem in doing so. Has anyone tested that?

It is possible to install software in knoppix. Also documentation of knoppix is pretty good. I just had problems running knoppix on systems with mixed ide and scsi harddrives. You are able to have full access on all recognized harddrives when you login as root.
Regards, ep20k.

during downloading the Cadance tool (in linux version)
I've a problem with LINUX,
I'm having LINUX SuSE 9.0 installed on my PC but now after loading, it
gives me a black screen with a moving message "Sync. Out of Range",
and so preventing me from logging on to LINUX.
some friends gave me a command line to write (after typing
CTRL+ALT+F2) but it was for LINUX REDHAT and it didn't work even when
exchanging "redhat" by "suse".
the line is "redhat-config/xfree86 //noui //reconfig"

So, can anyone help?

It is a problem in X86config. You need reduce the frequencies of the vertical and horizon in the X86config.

Status
Not open for further replies.