Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can i run a windows based application in linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

binu G

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
how can i install and run the window based application
in linux ?

is that possible ?

is it effective.?

windows is always crashing .

binu g

Have you tried Wine ?

http://www.winehq.com/

I haven´t used it but friends of mine says it is very effective. They could run W*i*n*d*o*w*s games and even o*f*f*i*c*e and m*a*t*l*a*b...
The problem, if i remenber well, it is not free... but i am not sure...
Try it.
:idea:
mcoster

no wine if free ..
I just use wine 20040716 rpm file

but wine not support DirectX for windows game
and 2 commerical version wineX / crossover
they is not free , but wineX can run windows game --> see Tom hardware guide for detail ..

but I don't wine can port windows EDA to linux , becuase windows EDA
have many enviroment like set directory
set license file ..

I think wine will fail on it .. another problem wine not support
remote display ( I am not sure it ..)

by the way , how about win4Linux

**broken link removed**

win4Linux have TS (terminal Server)
TS_client
and win4Linux

I don't know how difference about it .. I think if use TS version
we can remote display to other PC ..
but if we only need remote display to other Linux/Unix ??

If you ever want to go the other way around (run Linux apps under Windows) try coLinux:
**broken link removed**

I discovered it a month ago, and eight hours later I was running Debian Linux and X apps on my Win2k desktop.
coLinux runs from a drive image file, so I didn't have to partition my hard drive. Great for occasional Linux users.

There're some stuffs that you can use to run linux on win. Try cygwin or Uwin you'll have kinda unix-like terminals on windows.
window-based softwares can run on linux, but now generally you can find a port from win to *nix or vice versa

I'm wondering if you want to run a windows based app in linux bacause windows always crashes. this one is really funny. change your windows to a better one, e.g. XP to 2003 server or ... it is better than doing every other thing.
Some eda tools are written in java and they can be directly executed under any operating system. look if your's is one of them. a famous example : Xilinx coregen. or :D matlab. ummm ok , at least the command window is java however I know, it is not true for the rest of it.

mami_hacky said:
I'm wondering if you want to run a windows based app in linux bacause windows always crashes. this one is really funny. change your windows to a better one, e.g. XP to 2003 server or ... it is better than doing every other thing.

iam using win2003.
may have many loop holes because torj and virus get attack easly and make my system unstable. even the latest anti virus dont help.
the other fun is that after i put the fire wall, which come along with the operating system. when i rebooted the system again two ports were asigned automaticly for external communication. which i havent assigned.
may be this can be a activity of torj.

binu g

mami_hacky said:
I'm wondering if you want to run a windows based app in linux bacause windows always crashes. this one is really funny.

Just make me think of another use of something like vmware. My labmate suddenly wanted to write an OS in his PC one day (just for the sake of it)... You know programming those protected mode etc are very prompt to crash... A VM (vmware) really saved his day.

I setup a linux server for hspice .. but hspice no awaves on linux
other waveform tool I don;t like it ..
so I try to use wine run windows Base awaves .exe ..

but still fail ..

by the way , where can I download cygwin total setup file ..
my home PC is "off line" PC

Status
Not open for further replies.