Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I monitor a signal in post synthesis .v file

Status
Not open for further replies.

achaleus

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,
I am using ISE 14.7 for synthesis and Questasim 10.0c for simulation. I am doing post synthesis simulation to find out simulation and synthesis mismatch. ISE elaborated all hierarchy files into a single file for e.g. \instance1/my_signal[15:0]. The signals generated are so vast and I unable to add particular set of signals to the waveform window(I am adding all signals to the wave window) and its taking days for 1/10th of the simulation. It is difficult to find out the present value of my_signal.

My question is how can I monitor this hierarchical signal. gives you

if I use
$monitor("current iteration is %d",PicoSim.FPGA.UserWrapper.UserModuleTop.\mymodule_INST1/iteration );
or
$monitor("current iteration is %d",PicoSim.FPGA.UserWrapper.UserModuleTop.\mymodule_INST1/iteration[15:0] );
giving
Unresolved reference to 'UserModuleTop' in PicoSim.FPGA.UserWrapper.UserModuleTop.

Vinay

Yes, would be quite difficult with the netlist.

I don't know if this is an effective solution or there might be better ones...
Bring out the signal to be monitored on the top level interface in the RTL, re-generate the netlist and the re-sim!

Yes, would be quite difficult with the netlist.

I don't know if this is an effective solution or there might be better ones...
Bring out the signal to be monitored on the top level interface in the RTL, re-generate the netlist and the re-sim!

I thought the same and kept it as my final option...
thank you dpaul

Don't know if this is the situation in this particular case, but if the node you want to observe is not a FF then you will probably need to use a preserve attribute on it. This is less likely to affect timing and placement of a design and can also be left in the design, to avoid causing a subsequent mismatch due to code changes.

FFs on the otherhand should exist in a design. To help find them you can label the in your code

Thank you dpaul and ads-ee for solutions. I used keep = TRUE attribute and pinned to the top level in the hierarchy.
and used $monitor("current iteration is %d",PicoSim.FPGA.UserWrapper.UserModuleTop.my_iteration1 ); but I got
Unresolved reference to 'my_iteration1' in PicoSim.FPGA.UserWrapper.UserModule.my_iteration1.

I declared all those as wires and timing is not an issue as I want to check post synth simulation for functional behavior of my design.

any help or idea will be greatly appreciated

keep only works on individual nets afaik it does not apply to levels of hierarchy.
e.g.: (* keep = "true" *) wire signal_name;

FYI, sorry about misdirecting you to use preserve. I usually have to check which one applies to FFs and wires as I rarely use these attributes.

Hello ads-ee (* KEEP = "TRUE" *) works for hierarchy also.. though I have taken that signal top to the hierarchy and kept as output.. but it is giving error as Unresolved reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back