Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can i make radar using op amp??

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehmaas hasan

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings every one.

I want to make a radar using op amp as my course project.

I cannot find useful information I need a working schematic to perform this task need some guideline and help for my project. Since I am new to op amp I want your help.

thanks in advance.

RADAR is basically 1 ms Pulse of RF energy where the resolution is determined by the center frequency, as such tranponders need to switch and detect reflections at the speed of light, something which Op Amps do not have the necessary bandwidth. even at 10Mhz. You need > 1GHz for RADAR.

But with a remote transmitter you can determine Doppler shift at Seismic frequencies <0.1~20Hz using a large explosion submerged in a water filled well. We used an old miner with the explosive certs when we were students for for Earth Science's Seismic department at U of M to detect seismic waves 500Km from a 2 ton blast.

Then we used WWVB binary time codes broadcast from Boulder, Colorado with a VHF WWVB receiver to get 1 second time stamps on portable seismic recorders before GPS was invented.

When I graduated I designed a Doppler tracking telemetry station using an ultra-stable $300 OCXO and custom PLL to transmit a 100Khz sine wave sub-carrier on the data transmitter from a Black Brandt Rocket to track its position instead of the 2 man WWI radar equipment that filled a trailer (TRACS) for <1% of the cost and no maintenance was required.

I also designed a VLF navigation receiver for our 1st automated floating weather station with 5 channels ranging from 15 to 21KHz and the doppler shift measured in mS transmitted uplink to GOES 1. Someone could computed the shift of 10 miles per day on an ice flow in the Beaufort Sea. Similar to old naval VLF receivers ecept this one only consumed 60mW with CMOS and a FET front end with a whip antenna.

I had fun designing a coiled flat braid wire antenna that spun out at 100 miles above the earth when the nose cone ejected on a research Black Brandt Rocket with 5 cps spin rate and continued transmitting Aurora plasma experimental data for 30 minutes during decent with a parachute landing for pickup.

You can use synthetic Quartz resonators to measure Doppler shift > 1MHz using Op Amps if you design or buy the transponder and display it on a CRT or AMLCD raster scan monitor. This requires rotation of the emitter and detector to scan a 90deg radius around the emitter similar to a fish finder except higher frequency for close proximity and higher resolution Consider 1~10MHz Video amps with high current drive and sensitive wide band receivers and very fast Log detectors with low SNR much like a network analyzer but wideband. 1 to 10MHz with a swept or stepped frequency . Not exactly Op Amps as they do not have enough gain-bandwidth but maybe close.

With millimeter wave transponders you can measure the echos of millimeter size objects but that takes a lot of RF skill.

So I would suggest the ultrasound scanner with a 2 axis mirror controlled magnetically like those laser light shows but coming from a tuned horn or tuned quartz piezo transponders for directional control for narrow radial emission or perhaps something completely different. I am not exactly sure how they do it.

If of of these ideas has triggered your imagination, find out how they work and then write a spec or a plan on what you want to design/copy/ build and test it against those specs. YOu cannot be expected to design one yet, so you need to do some research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back