Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I make a PCB with 2 thicness!

Status
Not open for further replies.

test_out

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

Now I am designing a PCB and I face a difficulty:
My PCB has 2 thicness requirement: The thicness for whole PCB is thicker than the pin from PCB to connect to other slot.

Anyone can give me any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Test_out

I don't think it is possible. However an idea is: make two PCB's one is thicker and main PCB, as you required and make other PCB thinner and made connector on it. It is overlapped the first one PCB and place holes, same on both PCB's, so that you can just solder directly. If your space permits, it is a solution.

ENJOY!

thank you very much for your idea. I also though about this,may be this is the last choice?
Test_out

It's possible to manufacture nearly any PCB geometry you can imagine, also a stepped shape. Make a drawing, ask a manufacturer.

However, who defined the requirements should be willing to pay the prize.

We are a PCB manufacturer from Hongkong.

I do not think any PCB plant can meet 2 thickness board.

you'd better divid them into 2 units.

Above words for your reference.

RIPPLE

-------------
Professional PCB manufacturer from China
Provide 2-24 layer PCBs with High-Mix order with middle or small volume
Standard Printed Circuit Board Ltd.
(ISO9001 & ISO/TS 16949 & ISO14001 & UL)
www.standardpcb.com
E-mail: ripple@standardpcb.com
MSN:bobmiao2002@hotmail.com

FvM said:
It's possible to manufacture nearly any PCB geometry you can imagine, also a stepped shape. Make a drawing, ask a manufacturer.

However, who defined the requirements should be willing to pay the prize.

Any Geometry is possible only in two dimension..agreed, but not in the third axis.

If only 1 side of the thinner thickness bit of the board needs to have copper on then it can simply be milled out at the required depth, discuss your requirements with your available PCB manufacturers directly.

or perhaps let us know more about why yu need it to be 2 thickness's & we might be able to suggest something.

Hi,why do you want to make a pcb with 2 thickness in detail ?probebly your problem will solve in another way.
Bye.

Any Geometry is possible only in two dimension..agreed, but not in the third axis.

I didn't say it's a standard technology, but I've seen such boards, they have been manufactured by german PCB companies. 3D-milling is a possible technique. Another option is to laminate precut substrates, as with rigid/flex combinations.

FvM said:

I didn't say it's a standard technology, but I've seen such boards, they have been manufactured by german PCB companies. 3D-milling is a possible technique. Another option is to laminate precut substrates, as with rigid/flex combinations.

Sorry, what i was saying is for Rigid Board.
if do rigid-flex board, the job will be easier.

I think Awarapunshee approach is good.

Other thing like 3D milling etc is not feasable for commercial circuit or for mass production. flex may be a choice but again, one has to see the application and decide.

Have a Good Day

IMO the OP needs to return to the thread & let us know more otherwise there is not much point in further comment.

Hi, are you talking about depth control milling? It defenetly feasible. I just do those boards for one of my USA customers. Here is the actual picture

To my opinion, there are too much negative comments in this thread: This can't be done, too costly, not feasable for commercial circuit.

I think, it's rather simple. If a instrument manufacturer comes to the conclusion, that e. g. a 3D milled, possibly 3D plated PCB is the only solution for his product design, he'll pay the price or change the design.

Most PCB costs can be determined in terms of process steps and machine time. The effort to be a possibility here can be compared to adding another two planes in a multilayer, to my opinion.

When I was trying to do a 6 oz copper layers, I worked with Sierra Proto and I recall that their user's guide mentioned this very thing - multi-level boards. But I bet you pay a bunch for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back