Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can i install windows with linux (mandrake, red hat)????

Status
Not open for further replies.

carane

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i can´t install windows with linux mandrake, i need to have winlinux, but it´s get a error message when i define the resolution of the monitor or video card. Please tell me which are the principals steps to install winlinux. thanks

PD: IS COMPATIBLE THE SIS 630 VIDEO CARD WITH LINUX MANDRAKE?

Make a partition and install linux, don't use winlinux, it is not as updated as the regular linux distributions, go for mandrake, www.linux-mandrake.com, it's very easy ro install (if you have a partition ready!!)

Re: how can i install windows with linux (mandrake, red hat)

carane said:
i can´t install windows with linux mandrake, i need to have winlinux, but it´s get a error message when i define the resolution of the monitor or video card. Please tell me which are the principals steps to install winlinux. thanks

PD: IS COMPATIBLE THE SIS 630 VIDEO CARD WITH LINUX MANDRAKE?

Do you mean simultaneously running Windows (guest OS) on Linux (host OS) or vice versa? Then go for VMware workstation. I tried v3.0 and worked fine.

First install Windows, then Linux.

as title.

no, it seems he's using a version which installs in the FAT32 filesystem.
btw, I was never able to save my configuration when I used vmware, on the subject, when you first launch vmware from linux, and you boot windows, I can see that windows tries to detect new devices etc.., is it a normal process or is there something wrong (I mean, should I accept everything that's going on or what?) thanks in advance!!

I guess it is normal 'cause Windows tries to detect devices for PnP. It happens when i power on the virtual machine as well.

okay, but does it have to go through the detection process each time you run windows as a guest host (hence saving the configuration)??

yes the grub bootloader is very good for dual boot...i have installed both windows and fedora ...thanx to grub...

winlinux is not a better idea. Because it installs on usual FAT32 filesystem.
FAT32 has got lot of limitations like it can't store anyfile greater than 2GB also there is a good chance of file corruption. Better idea is to install LINUX in a dedicated EXT3 filesystem and use GRUB or LILO for boot to either windows or LINUX.

Hi
first install windows then install linux on other partion.
regards

Acually the order of installation is not important. You can install it any order you like.

All you need to do is that you have to write the GRUB or LILO boot loader as final step of installation. If you install Windows as second step, most of the distributions provide options to boot in to the LINUX partition in rescue mode using the installation CD. Once you gets in using the installation CD try to run the boot loader on to the boot partition or master boot record.

hr_rezaee said:
Hi
first install windows then install linux on other partion.
regards

try qemu

If you want run both at a time use VMWare

there even exist a prog win4lin for such purposes

hi carane,
i have installed it last week with already installed windows xp.
first boot pc with cd-rom and insert mandraka
it will ask u few simple qs.
install it on seperate drive(not with xp) having ext3 file system.
then enjoy it

Try to use crossover tool to install WIndows Application such MS Office.

Status
Not open for further replies.