Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I improve noise perforcmance in Gm-C filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsez

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have designed a 5th order Gm-C lowpass filter with CMOS0.25um Tech.
the cut-off frequency is 2MHz
The OTA structure is folded cascade with negative source degeneration using nmos channel resistor.The gm value is 10uA/V.The simulation result shows that the filter input noise is 4uV/sqrt(Hz)@300KHz and 2uV/sqrt(Hz)@1MHz.It's terrible.
The total filter current consumption is 3.4mA,1dB Comp. is -0.1dBm. These two performance are something good.
How can I improve the noise performance by comsuming more power?
Pls give me some tips, thanks a lot.

Power efficiency is defined by:

1. How much % of supply is your max signal swing
2. Does the filter topology and coefficents show frequency peaking which limit signal swing.
3. Is the bias current a factor greater than the max signal current or possible lower because of AB-type OTA

All what you can do is changing these three major parameters.

My personal experience is that Gm-C achieve not more than 50% swing related to supply. Folded cascodes increase bias current by 2. Linearity is difficult to control. Continous online tuning is a myth.

Look for active RC. There you can built an AB-type opamp getting typical 10% bias related to maximum peak current.

Gm-C only applies if the parasitic pole of the opamp have a technology related dependence which could not be effective compensated. That happens around 100MHz. Disk drive filters or wired comms uses Gm-C. Below 100MHz GM-C works but get easy outperformed by active RC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back