Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how can I draw a pad in the layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackyH

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

the standard size of the pad in the technology is 100um*100um, now I want to have a pad with the different size,(200um length*100um height) which is not available in the design kit.

I tried to put two standard pads together, and connect them with the metal layers, but DRC always shows the error messages.

Or I stretch each layer of the pad to make them longer, but the DRC also shows errors.

I have also tried to draw a pad by myself, but the via holes in the pad is required to keep a very specific shape, which is not rectangular, instead, it should be a 'diomand' shape which I am very confused about.

Does anyone have some experience of drawing the pads?
thanks very much!

hi,

what tool are you using by the way? try extending all the metal layers. i think pads contain all layers. and try to copy the via and cotact patterns.

- al :)

a) look into thr DRC booklet for the Pad and passivation rules.
b) ask your fab rep. if you could do it - some fabs will require a vaiwer ....
c) Reason why you need the long pad is probably double bond - why don;t you use two pads as is and connect them with metal on the chip?

your foundry may provide standard cells for pads, check with them. but as mentioned there will be waiver or disclaimer involved (i.e. they are not responsible if the pads dont work)

Well, there is another issue - most of the bondpad rules (let say for TSMC) are done so they satisfy the requirements of their assembly. If you will use different assmebly house or do it internaly - check with those if they will be ok with it. I would still use 2 independent pads - just to make it easy.

For most foundries they have separate pads and power ring rules. You need to follow those rules or else like they mentioned you need a waiver from the foundry.

my suggestion from experience of a friend: if you are going to use standard cells, make sure you flatten them and separate all the layers to make sure eveyrthing that should be there is there. otherwise you will be in trouble.

why not used two pad for double bonding?

I agree with Oermens method if you want to stretch the pad openning.

What is the purposes of the bigger pad openning? To have two bondings on the same pad, you may face some problems during bonding. If you want to have two bondings, then you may want to use the suggestions by calibre.

If you are only bonding one wire to the bigger pad, it should not be a problem. But for a smaller pad openning, you need check the your backend people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back