Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How can I access Windows files while in linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

gold_kiss

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Do we have any facility as to view windows files/folders while being in Linux.

I mean my PC has both linx and Win OS.

In otherwords can I mount hda1 and hda2 of Win OS while in linux (hda3 and hda4).

Can any one help.
Thanks,
Gold_kiss

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win -o vfat

by the way

before that step
you should make a new dir in /mnt

I'm using Slackware 10 and I thought the command should be

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win -t vfat

I tried -o just to see if it works. It doesn't seem to on my system. Another thing: please don't mount an ntfs windows partition with write permission unless you are SURE that your linux supports it. I haven't yet heard of a linux system that supports proper ntfs write support. The write support that I've heard of is just to edit files, but their file length may not change. Fat file systems work well though.

Alternatively, you could add the following to /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win1 vfat user,defaults 1 0
/dev/hda2 /mnt/win2 vfat user,defaults 1 0

If you're not too sure what this does type in

man fstab

it should explain it. Then, when your system boots, if it executes "mount -a" on bootup, it will automatically mount it for you. Otherwise, you may also type in "mount -a" as root to get all your file systems mounted. If you don't want automounting, add "noauto," infront of user.

Also, if there is an entry in your fstab, you need only type in
mount /dev/hda1
or
mount /mnt/win1
It should do a lookup for you and mount everything in the right place etc,etc... :)

Hi all,
But my partition drives of Windows are of NTFS and am using Red Hat Linux 7.3 OS.

Can you pls help me now.

Thanks,
Gold_kiss

This is something small, so I probably shouldn't reply. I just am for anyone that reads these posts and is left wondering...
Quote:

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/win -t vfat

it's
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/win
On my system, I'm able to put the "-t vfat" at the end of the line. In fact I can also type in

mount /dev/hda1 -t vfat /mnt/win

and this also seems to work well. I don't know if this is standard or if it's just on my installation (I am using a standard Slackware installation). The order doesn't seem to matter. Consulting the mount man page, it seems that the order doesn't matter. The first argument that is not preceded by an option is assumed to be the device, and the second argument not preceded by an option is the mount point. Like I said, this is something small, and I don't know if it is always the case, but it works for me....
:)

all of the above is correct, however just to save you time you could just install the latest version of suse or mandrake, i think that both these distros have the ntfs drivers installed as default, however you can only read from these drives which is a pity

Status
Not open for further replies.