hm1984ir

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
connect sensor to computer

hi,
I have a load cell sensor with 4 wire(red=+exc, black=-exc, green=+signal, white=-signal)
now i want to connect this sensor to rs232(serial port)
how can i so this.(I don't have any expirence in electronic)
thanks

how to connect sensor to computer

1)what does +exc and -exc stand for, i think you are referring to supply +ve and -ve
2)what is the signal type?

if the +signal and -signal are RS485 signals then you can hook it up to your rs232 port, if the signal is in analog form then you need an A/D converter and a microcontroller and an IC like MAX232 to interface the sensor to computer

Hope this helps

how to connect load cell to computer

Load cells are gnerally constructed using a Wheatstone bridge. The "+EXC" and "-EXC" are the "excitation" inputs (typically about 10VDC). The "+signal" and "-signal" are the outputs. The output level is very low, often in the millivolt range. Typically you use an instrumentation amplifier to amplify the signal to a usable level.

To get an RS-232 signal from a load cell you need to:
- Amplify the output signal
- Convert it to a digital signal using an Analog-to-Digital converter
- Send the data via a UART connected to an RS-232 converter

Just about any microcontroller with a UART and A/D converter will suffice. However, if you don't have "any" electronics experience I think you'll find this a daunting task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…