Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How are street lights operated in cities or urban areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzam

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how are the street lights controlled?

lights

interesting question!
can u be little specific ?

Re: lights

shiv_emf said:
interesting question!
can u be little specific ?

how are street lights operated in cities or urban areas, definitely there must be some timer operation. can someone brief me on its operation in detail?

best regards

hmm..nice question.

i think they are using timer circuits...

based on time lights will on and off...

or may be they are using unique light sensor @ the control room and according to that the lights would be controlled (ON and OFF)..

Kazzam

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

H_D_R said:
hmm..nice question.

i think they are using timer circuits...

based on time lights will on and off...

or may be they are using unique light sensor @ the control room and according to that the lights would be controlled (ON and OFF)..

i agree with what u say...
but most of the times we do see a lot of lights turned on at irrevelant times...
cant we control the operation of these lights in a specific manner and conserve energy...
do you have any idea on this?

best regards

If it is glowing at irrelevant times, it is either due to human error (if the lights are turned on and off by operators in the control room) or due to flaw in the automatic control circuit (again an indirect human error!)

If the lights are controlled automatically, the circuit may contain a timer (possibly a Real-Time Clock), light sensor circuitry (possible a circuit using LDR), set of relays and driver circuits to turn on the relay and a microcontroller programmed to control all these operations.

In this case, if the light glows at irrelevant times, it is due to the programmer who coded the microcontroller.

Kazzam

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

Kazzam said:
i agree with what u say...
but most of the times we do see a lot of lights turned on at irrevelant times...
cant we control the operation of these lights in a specific manner and conserve energy...
do you have any idea on this?

best regards

well...

that we can say only after seeing the method of implemenation such a network.

bcoz may be some time it happens due to some faults in ciruit-network.

i dont thinks so there would be any other reason rather than these...

regards,
H_D_R

In US atleast I think its based on a sensor which detects the presence or absence of traffic. The default operation is ofcourse based on the direction that has continuous traffic through the day. Also I think it has been designed to detect vehicles of standard size since on most occasions it can't detect a cyclist :)

-Aravind

Added after 1 minutes:

Sorry............didn't see that you had mentioned street lights....thought you meant traffic lights....

yeah its quite simple and very easy.it can be controlled from timer and sensor.
but timer has a drawback if wheather became a cloudy so what it will do in a dark weather???????????
to avoid this we can use a sensor(LDR) which works on the principal of light intensity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back