Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How are modern uniwersal programmers build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elektryk

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I wonder how are modern universal programmers (like JetProg from elnec, or ALL-11 from HiLo) build. Especially how is designed "output" circuits connected with programming socket. From flayers I know it can set logic level (with diffrent voltage levels simulatously at diffrent pins), it can set high voltage, and be readed. I know it is possible to do this with dicrete components, but it will be few transistor per one pin, and some of these programmers have up to 256 pins, so there will be no enought space for few thousends transistor in one device. So there must be some dedicaated chips? Can anyone send some schematic diagram or even open own programmer and read labels on chips?

Hello elektryk,

Try searching around - this recent thread springs to mind:

Also these:

To summarise for you, the problem with universal programmers isn't driving the pins, it's knowing the programming protocols for the devices you need to program. The manufacturers often guard this information carefully. Simple E(E)PROMS, MCU's etc are easy because the protocols usually *are* available (and simple). A bunch of 74xx logic may suffice.

For more complex devices, like CPLD's and FPGA's, the programmer will probably use a CPLD or FPGA itself to drive the pins, plus some buffers and/or DAC's for high-voltage programming. Having the wiring diagram (which is probably fairly simple) would be useless without the (probably protected) code.

I have a Galep-4 - it uses an FPGA inside and programs most E(E)PROMS, Flash, MCU's and GAL's.

FoxyRick.

elektryk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
FoxyRick said:
For more complex devices, like CPLD's and FPGA's, the programmer will probably use a CPLD or FPGA itself to drive the pins, plus some buffers and/or DAC's for high-voltage programming.
Yes, I understand it, but IMHO FPGA or CPLD has no enought strenght to power pins, and the magic word "pin driver" was exactly what is was looking for.

Hi

I modern universal programmer desiner are using multi channel D/A converter with power op amp on the output stage

Maxim have 16 & 32 ch D/A converter's chip and modern op amp are in sot23

All the best

Bobi

bobcat1 said:
and modern op amp are in sot23
Yeah, sure, but remember:
1. you still have to "disconect" op-amp from pin while reading it
2. who wants to mount 256 chips? how about routing pcb?

Conclusion:
there must be special chip (multiple pin-driver) for programmers, and I dont think they are ASIC.

Status
Not open for further replies.