Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How are device drivers implemented in Windows and Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BAT_MAN

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am concern how device drivers are implemented in the windows and linux and in which platform it is easy to implement i want the comparsion between the design and implements. :D:D

Re: linux vs windows

It depends on the kernel architecture of the respective Operating Systems.One has to know the basic kernel architecture of Operating Systems before starting to write a Device Driver.

Please refer a book called "Device Drivers" by Rubini to know more about Device Drivers.

BAT_MAN

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
linux vs windows

Its easy to implement it on linux as its architecture and source code is open to everyone also you will find lot of free tutorials and ebooks on linux device driver programming.

While to program the device driver for windows you must purchase and learn there Device Driver Development kit.

BAT_MAN

i agree with dipal_z

for more information on device drivers in linux refer:
Linux Device Drivers, 2nd Edition
By Alessandro Rubini & Jonathan Corbet
2nd Edition June 2001
0-59600-008-1,

@ https://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/

BAT_MAN

Linux driver programming is not really much easier than the windows counterpart. As long as you understand the "protection mechanism" (I mean how protected mode is being implemented in the operating system) in both of the operating system, it shouldn't be too hard to code a device driver. I've done some simple driver development for both of this OS in x86 architecture and both seems to be not too different.

Apart from being acquainted with the protected mode implementation, you also have to learn about the data structure that the OS "exports" to device driver developer. Particularly the function-pointers that you must initialize to gain access to something that you need in the kernel.

linux got more security option...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back