Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How a PIC can measure Current with a simple resistor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djou007

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need your help

Vin R=10 ohm
o---------VVVV-------------o VA0 To the PIN A0
|
|---------------------o VA1 To the PIN A1

the current Value I :

I= (VA1-VA0/R)

Is it correct?

Nope. you can only measure the voltage level. If you do this, you will get 5V at both point :)

If the current you are trying to measure is passing through the resistor and you measure the voltage at both ends of the resistor then the current will be (VA1-VA2)/R. You need to ensure that the voltage on the resistor doesn't exceed the PIC voltage range.

Keith.

Reactions: dani222

dani222

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
try to use current-sense amplifier.
it amplifies the voltage across V+ and V-. A sense resistor, RSENSE, is connected across V+ and V-. A voltage drop across RSENSE is developed when a load current is passed through it. This voltage is amplified and is proportional to the load current.

Attachments

• 4303.gif
    4303.gif
    3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Hi,
This diagram should clear things:
47_1292426416.png

VA0 and VA1 can be directly connected to the PIC input if the voltage is below 5v. In this current configuration, I = (VA0-VA1)/R.
If voltage levels are higher than 5v, then the additional circuitry is required to step down the voltage using the resistor divider and zener for protection, the 1k and 0.1uF for filtering although not entirely necessary, could improve the situation in some cases.

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back