Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

homemade turning signals electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackdavid

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all. i have a honda cr 250 taht i want to drive on road.but i need to make turning signals and i want to do it myself. i know only the basic of electronics and if someone can help me with it i will be happy! please post if you know anything or you have some questions :-:)-(

Im not sure about the normal structure of a turining signal system, but I assume that you can generate a square wave signal using a 555 timer, and use the signal (it might need amplification) to drive a relay, which will switch the indicators on and off.

I *think* the standard flasher relay is a two wire device, it just connects in series with the turning light. This means there is no constant supply to it and there may not even be one available on the CR250. The simplest system is probably a two pole relay with one pole switching the lights, the other in series with the coil to form a simple oscillator. A diode (if the supply is AC) and a capacitor can be used to slow it down.

Brian.

Last edited:

If its a two terminal device then its a thermal relay, it is also bolted down to earth so its actually got three connections. So when you switch on your indicator, voltage is fed to 555. A 555 can drive up to 80mA, enough for a relay, so feed incoming 12v out to turn bulbs.
Frank

I've seen two terminal ones with no chassis connection. They are very simple, there is a conventional relay with its coil and NC contacts in series. When current flows into the load it passes through the switch and coil, as the coil energizes the relay, it opens the NC switch and cuts the current off. Without current, it returns to the on state again. A fat capacitor across the relay coil slows the oscillation down to the desired speed. The drawback to these units is a slight voltage drop through the coil and the speed depends on the load current.

Brian.

Here is the simple solution.
Left arm straight out = left turn
Left arm bent toward sky = right turn
Left arm bent toward ground = Stop

LOL this would be true for everyone except those not living in the USA. The rest of us would be using our right arms.

A 555 astable with a period of 1s, and driving a relay, is easy to implement. The complication comes in switching to either left or right indicator lamps.
I haven't thought of an easy way yet.

Unless I, or another reader, can suggest an acceptable way, you might consider building two idential units, one to switch the left lamps, one to switch the right.

1sec555astable.gif

LOL this would be true for everyone except those not living in the USA. The rest of us would be using our right arms.
Do you also drive on the wrong side of the road in South Africa like in the UK, Australia and Japan?
In addition to the USA, Canada, Mexico, most of South America except Guyana, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Italy, China, Russia and most other countries drive on the correct side of the road. Google shows a map. Most of the world drives on the correct side of the road.

Do you also drive on the wrong side of the road in South Africa like in the UK, Australia and Japan?
In addition to the USA, Canada, Mexico, most of South America except Guyana, France, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Italy, China, Russia and most other countries drive on the correct side of the road. Google shows a map. Most of the world drives on the correct side of the road.

Actually we drive on the correct side of the road, just like UK, Australia and Japan. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back