Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Home automation: Human presence

Status
Not open for further replies.

henninggs

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I'm trying to build a smart house. To be smart, the house needs to know where people are located. Having all individuals to carry some sort of transmitter is not an option. I need the lights to turn on in the bedroom even if I'm wearing nothing but a towel.

To detect human presence I think that PIR-sensors are the way to go in this case. Most PIR-modules detects motion, I don't care about motion I care about presence. PIR sensors today are rather cheap thus installing even tens of PIR sensors in each room would be economically feasible.

Each room will have a CANbus node connected to the "house computer". Each node will support a (large) number of analog inputs/sensors. I was thinking to install let say 16 PIR senors in any given room. The node will read those sensors and send their values back to the "house computer". The "house computer" will decide whether these readings will trigger a lights-on event or not.

As I see it, I'll need to figure out the following:
1. How do I make a human (or animal) presence sensor circuit based on a PIR sensor (Not motion). The circuit should implement some noise reduction (Any schematics out there ?)
2. How do I alter that circuit to handle multiple PIR sensors ? - I am thinking: multiplexing. (It is fine to read the sensors one by one, I don't need speed)

But foremost I need your thoughts on this, ideas or comments. Thanks!

Regards
Henning

Status
Not open for further replies.