Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hold numbers in flipflops

Status
Not open for further replies.

msmpy123

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
What does HOLD number signfies in flipflops.?
and how tro calculate hold number.
it will be helpfull if there is any tool, which does that.

Thanks and regards,
-Mukesh.

the hold time of the flipflop is different for different tech, you can find it from the technology library

I don't agree with the answer.
hold time is the minimum time, data requires to stay in its present state after the clock changes, so that the data can be latched to the output "q".

My question was,
How to calculate it?
and what does it signifies?

Let me know if you don't agree

Depending to the technology and also the implementation this required hold delay can be different.

as said above hold time is entirely technology dependent. it is given by the library vendor along with other details like cell area, power consumption etc.
i dont think there is a tool to obtain tht.
all tools read it from the library files

Perfectly fine!!!
But I am a library vendor, Then as a library vendor how will i calculate delay.? Please don't confuse me.
if you know abt seq cells, There is something called BHT i.e worst setup+ worst clock to q. and there is some thing called hold number.

regards,
-Mukesh.

Hold time of a FF is calculated by spice simulation. YOu assume a initial hold time, and then run the spice sims, so that the data changes exactly after your initial guess say 't ps', your assumption should be large enough so that at first sims, the data is latched perfectly. Then you do repeated sims in a binary search fashion in spice, replacing 't ps' by t/2 ps, and so on, until you get close enough 'actual' hold time. Then depending upon the 'error' margin you would accept, you will get your hold time in 8-16 simulations.
you perform these simulations for various corners, and then do a data sheet of hold time.
Usually lib vendos write their own tool to automatically do that. but I am sure anybody can write a script to do it.
hope it helps,
Kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

msmpy123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Dear avmit,

Nice explanation but, you have said has "you assume a intial hold time".

We dont know what is hold time, how to assume then, which parmeter has to be

noted to assume.

phutane

A flop is made of CMOS.So the hold time is the time taken by the CMOS circuitry to get the input value and latch it . The input must be stable until this is done. The hold time corresponds to the switching time of the MOS transistor.The input must be stable until the MOS switches.Obivously the switching time of the MOS is technology dependent.......

Hope this helps..

the hold numbers in FF, is related with the overlap time of two inverted latch.
the hold time can avoid timing error when two latches are transparent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back