Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HMC920 Active Bias Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atif Hussain Shah

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My Amplifier CHA3024 changes its gain as temperature changes. I want to use HMC920 Active bias Controller for maintaining its drain current constant and for sequencing of Amplifier.
But i am not sure that will this active Bias Controller be able to maintain constant gain by monitoring drain current(maintaining fixed Bias point) and mitigate the effects on gain due to temperature changes?

Attachments

• CHA3024 complete.pdf
    538.4 KB · Views: 82
  • hmc920.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 64

Seems that HMC920 has just an LDO to generate the drain current. Is not showing any current sensing circuit to adapt dynamically the drain current. It has only a current sensing for short-circuit protection.
As is mentioned at page 11 there is a possibility to adjust the drain current using an external resistor (R4).
Thus, a complex schematic would require a drain current sensing circuit, which adjust somehow the variable resistor R4 and so, the drain current.

Perhaps this method might be adapted to your project. Biasing arrangement discourages thermal runaway (schematic I found in a book).

If the transistor conducts too much, then the voltage at the collector goes down, automatically easing up on bias current, in turn reducing how much the transistor conducts.

biasing method NPN discourage thermal runaway.png

Perhaps this method might be adapted to your project. Biasing arrangement discourages thermal runaway (schematic I found in a book).

If the transistor conducts too much, then the voltage at the collector goes down, automatically easing up on bias current, in turn reducing how much the transistor conducts.

View attachment 167512
Thanks for help.
--- Updated ---

Seems that HMC920 has just an LDO to generate the drain current. Is not showing any current sensing circuit to adapt dynamically the drain current. It has only a current sensing for short-circuit protection.
As is mentioned at page 11 there is a possibility to adjust the drain current using an external resistor (R4).
Thus, a complex schematic would require a drain current sensing circuit, which adjust somehow the variable resistor R4 and so, the drain current.
thanks for help
--- Updated ---

HMC980 is from same family. I think these lines which i highlighted, shows that it controls drain current continuously by adjusting Vgate voltage.

Attachments

• hmc980_Active Bias Controller2.PNG
    hmc980_Active Bias Controller2.PNG
    101.1 KB · Views: 70
  • hmc980_Active Bias Controller.PNG
    hmc980_Active Bias Controller.PNG
    111.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

HMC920 has also the possibility to adjust automatically the gate bias of the external amplifier.

Attachments

• bias.jpg
    bias.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 76

try increasing the voltage headroom on the chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back