Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hint: IDE for ARM (Freescale K60 and NXP LPC1788)

Status
Not open for further replies.

il_mix

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the microcontroller world, but quite experienced with software and firmware.
I need to develop two different applications using two different microcontrollers (NOTE: can't change the HW!)
- Freescale kinetis K60 (ARM Cortex-M4), using MQX RTOS for simple interface control (CAN, USB, ethernet)
- NXP LPC1788 (ARM Cortex-M3) without OS
Given the fact that I need to use MQX, it's better to use a Freescale suggested IDE, like CodeWarrior, Keil uVision/MDK ARM, IAR Workbench.
I need to pay for them, so if I will like to buy one that well suits for NXP processor, too.
I'll like to have some hints from you about which one is "better", given compatibility/price/quality/time to learn/... parameters.
And, of course, if you have a different idea just tell me.

Write everything you have in mind. I'll filter :)

Thanks!!!
MIX

NOTE: I'm using Windows!

Last edited:

I prefer an integrated ambient with debugger, programmer, ...

If you are unfortunate enough to run Windows, try Yagarto **broken link removed**

If you are lucky enough to run Linux there are many alternatives, CodeSourcery, summon-arm-toolchain etc.
http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/sourcery-tools/sourcery-codebench/editions/lite-edition/
If you really need an IDE, Eclipse is a common choice.

If you want to pay for it I think CrossWorks is one of the best. Very good support. http://www.rowley.co.uk/

One problem with buying the tools is that you are stuck with that company, whatever they decide is good for you.
If you buy something, try to get something GCC based since that's more or less the standard in the ARM world.
If you get something that's not GCC based, pay for the tools from ARM.

Support for GCC is very good on the net.

i am realy happy with IAR

Forgot to tell that I work on Windows systems. Added to the first post.

I'm a little scared about the compatibility of Freescale MQX RTOS library. I suppose that any IDE with a GCC compiler could be ok, but if someone have experience to share about it I'll be glad.
At the moment, IAR seems to be the best candidate...

What's the reason you want to use a proprietary RTOS like MQX? It's not that I don't understand that there may be reasons to go proprietary.

I'll develop projects for industrial sector, so I need to have stability, long term availability and support when needed. And someone to blame if something's wrong :)

Hehehe, and you think you get that with proprietary tools? Maybe the blaming part.
But more likely, your boss will probably not blame you if there are problems with the tools and you have bought them.:roll:

One of my customers decided on a proprietary toolchain for Cortex-M3, I will not name the company, but it's located in Sweden.
I use both that for their project and open tools for another customer. In my opinion both stability and support is better for the open tools.
The customer that wanted the proprietary toolchain is now talking about maybe switching to open tools.

Well, I 'hope' to get what I said.

Back in topic!
About open IDE, I've seen something on Eclipse (that I've already used for software development). The problem here is that I need to install dozen of packages to let it work with ARM (compiling, debugging, programming), and I can get stuck in the middle of the project due to something missing or similar. I don't mean that the setup costs is like a license of a proprietary sw, but it's not zero... That's another reason because I'm checking for something proprietary and ready-to-use. By the way, I'm here to be proved. Have you had any experience about Eclipse for ARM?

I'm not very fond of Eclipse, I find the name appropriate. But I have some experience with it with ARM.

I installed Yagarto following the instructions at www.yagarto.de to test if I can recommend it to one of my customers.
The only problem was that the version of GDB didn't work with the GDB-server I was going to use. I haven't tried the recommended version of GDB yet.
If the ICD my customer used was supported by OpenOCD I think there had been no problem. But I don't know.

Obviously it's some work to get it to work but it's not too bad, and there is always the risk that you run into a problem you can't solve.
A couple of years ago OpenOCD for Cortex-M3 was broken with the result that I had to find another solution. Not convenient.

The proprietary tool we use is Eclipse-based and is not very stable. Not too bad but not really impressive. Ooops.

If you want a solution that work "out of the box" without having to try to understand what's going on you have (?) to go proprietary. You will also be completely in the hands of the seller.
On the other hand, if you are prepared to put some time into getting your environment to work the reward is better understanding of the tools and some peace of mind.

Why buy something ready made if you can build it yourself at twice the cost? The main reason for using open tools is not the cost but the freedom.

how about Keil's MDK-ARM. our company has the LPC1788 board which provides MDK-ARM sample codes

Status
Not open for further replies.