Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

high voltage triac circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

yougarage

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to build a simple "switch" to interrupt the supply to a moped ignition coil (Capacitive discharge ignition), it is fed with AC voltage, varying from 200 to about 500 volt depending on the RPM of the engine.
I need to drive this switch with a microcontroller, so i thought to use a triac and an optocoupler, but due to this wide voltage range, how do I select the gate resistor?
If I choose a low OHM value, the gate will melt at higher RPM, and a high value will not provide enough current to the gate during the engine start.

My friend did you check speed of triac ? there is lots of CDI on Internet.

Electronic Motocycle ignition CDI Honda C-90
This Circuit is for 4 cylinder motor, Electronic Motocycle ignition for CDI Honda C-90.
Use small circuit but good work. SCR 1 TIC106 Switching Component for drive ignition Coil to Sparkplug. Detail to see circuit.

There is lots and better circuit on Internet but this is simple one, make search...

Attachments

• electronic-motocycle-ignition-cdi-honda-c-90.jpg
    electronic-motocycle-ignition-cdi-honda-c-90.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 118

Thanks for posting this picture, but I don't want to make an electronic ignition, I just want to interrupt a working one, let's say i need to interpose the switch between the generator and the ignition coil
I modified the previous picture so I can show you.

My advice its to use some optocoupler there and fixed stabilized voltage for gate, there are lots of examples on Internet for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.