Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage switching transistor(MJE13009) problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kk_apollo

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mje13009

HI i just want to know about a high voltage switching transistor(MJE13009), this was used in a project related to power electronics.

Actually the problem is, it is drawing more current

the basic supply voltage is 170DC
n 6VP-P sinusoidal wave
its a continuos signal.

is there any possibility to check the transistor individually

mje13009

Do a diode check between pins 1 and 2 and between pins 1 and 3 with a multimeter (pins numbered from left to right, looking at the transistor from the front). It should read 0.6V or 0.7V on both occasions. Also check there's no conduction between pins 2 and 3.

If that checks out, you can be pretty sure the transistor survived the experiment and you need to check the circuit for any faults which would cause too much current to flow through the transistor.

If the transistor shows shorts between the pins, it's broken and you still need to check the circuit for errors, because transistors rarely fail all by themselves.

Re: mje13009

hi dear,

nice way to check the tansistor but this is a power transistor and mosly these are used in the supply of the circuits dear you can took its technical data from wesites and then you can check the transistor in the same way for current switching here you have to sure its i/p terminal and out put so that you can verify the current

mje13009

Thanku guys

i am using the same in pushpull amplifier circuits
in which the input transformer is feeded with 8vp-p(sinusoidal) continuos signal
n output transformer with 170VDC

transistor was checked before mounting n after mounting onto the PCB

after giving powersupply for abt 1 min it is getting damaged

once i did a mistake,instead of giving sinusoidal, a square wave was feeded to the input transformer

Re: mje13009

hi dear,

which omponents are attached before the transistor because might be one of them is devalued

mje13009

i didn't get u exactly

its a push pull amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.