Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage pulse generator circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnEngineer7

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey all,
I hope this post finds you well.
I want to design a high voltage pulse generator circuit that is able to output voltage as high as 400v in a time duration ranging from 20 nanoseconds to 20 microseconds when a push button is pressed. I also need to be able to adjust the time and the output voltage. I've researched for awhile now and most of the components that i required aren't available in my country :')
So please help me design this circuit if im going to use a power MOSFET PF7N60C, can you guys tell me what capacitors should i use or if im going to need inductors and create a DC boost chopper - like circuit and how can i adjust the time and voltage?
The only idea i have about adjusting the output time is an arduino signal to the mosfet's gate. If there's a better way please tell me.
Thank you :')

to get 400v at very low power, just use a flyback. What frequency do you need the pulses to repeat at, or is it just one pulse when the button is pressed?.
Flyback very easy.....just pump current into the output cap till it gets up to 400v.
Use an external error amp to get voltage variation.
You might be allright with just a comparator type feedback , its so low power.
But like in this postif you wanted to use error amp, which I doubt, cuzz you can just use feedback via comparator into digital isolator for example......
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/352040/

Twenty nanoseconds is very fast !
And you have not told us what the load is going to be.

Looking up the data sheet for your PFN60C mosfet, quoted turn on rise time is 170nS and fall time 130nS.
You have no hope of generating 20nS wide pulses with those.

This is going to be a very difficult project, and I suggest you do some internet research on "Pockles Cell drivers".
These are used to switch liquid crystal optical shutters at nanosecond speeds, and the liquid crystals require high voltage drive, and are a capacitive load, which makes it more difficult.

I'm missing a full specification
- pulse duration
- rise and fall time
- pulse flatness/voltage accuracy
- repetition rate
- load impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back