Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High voltage on the PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

kender

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Stanford, SF Bay Peninsula, California, Earth, Sol
Activity points
Colleagues,

Could anyone give a reference to guidelines for the High Voltage (HV) PCB layout?

I need to layout a board, which will be powered with 5V and generate 500V internally, using an EMCO Q Series power supply (little brick). What layout rules do I need to know? What parameters do I need to find out from the PCB fab house?

Thanks,
- Nick

For tracewidths and clearances, checkout IPC-2221.

On my copy (Feb. 1998) you will find the numbers on pages 38/39

kender

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
senilicus said:
For tracewidths and clearances, checkout IPC-2221.
On my copy (Feb. 1998) you will find the numbers on pages 38/39
Thanks, that helped!

I found that the dielectric strength of FR4 is 500 V/mil (for metric folks, 1 mil = 0.001inch = 0.0254mm). The 4-layer boards that I get are boards that I get are 50 mils (1.2mm) thick. I guess, that means that there's more than enough dielectric between any two layers.

What about high-voltage vias? How big should be the clearance between the via and a plane? Of course, I can try to avoid using planes in the high voltage section altogether.

What happens if I use planes in high voltage section areas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back