Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Voltage Capacitor in UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henry

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
capacitor 4kv

The intended purpose is to charge at high voltage 3KV, and dicharge through a spark gap continuously. I intend to find usefull energy from the corona emitions like Tesla and then E.Gray more recently did. I think 2uF at 4KV capacitor will be needed, but where in the UK can I find one that big!?

If a large C can't be found in the UK or is too expensive I could also make a capacitor that large from a number of smaller value ones in series and parallel, could someone point me in the right direction for the info to do that please? What sort of smaller capacitor would I use, a polypropylene type maybe?

If anyone has any info on any of the above then I would be very gratefull.

Thanks

Try:
http://www.wuesten.net/eindex.htm (Germany)
and select High-Voltage Capacitor section.
2µF/4kV capacitor costs there ≈25Euros ..
Alternatively you can go to:
http://www.partridgeelectronics.co.uk/framecomponentsintro.htm
and in the Capacitor-Polyester(axial) section you can find 100nF/2kV.
You will need 80 (40+40) of them to build 2µF/4kV capacitor.
If you select this option, don't foget about equalising resistors for parallel/serial configuration ..
Regards,
IanP

Thanks IanP,

I have ordered from the first link you gave me, and the postage from Germany was only 15 Euros too!

Regards henry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back