Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High speed USB host needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizel

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
1563 usb controller

Hello!

Need a high speed (and 2.0 compiliant) USB host chip for embedded aplications.
High speed is 480 Mbit/s.
There are many chips in market can operate at 12 Mbit/s (full speed) and 2.0 compiliant, but it's little hard to find chip with 480 Mbits/s.
So, is anybody knows such a chip?

When communication is 480 Mbit/s you have a big amount of data. What you planed to do with this? Where you will store data? Or you are planing to use microcontroller as some kind of interface?

If you have an EHCI controller you can go in High Speed mode.
The best there is are the controller from Intel (they are also used for USB-if certification) --> usb.org.

So just search for EHCI / UHCI or EHCI/OHCI USB controller and you can go in full speed mode.

Be alert that you go only in EHCI mode of the high speed controller when you plug in a high-speed device (EHCI controller in this device) otherwise the controller will work on full speed (OHCI or UHCI).

Don't buy/use a UHCI or OHCI controller those are full speed only.

conclusion: Go and look for an EHCI USB controller, plug in a EHCI device (most USB HDD's will have EHCI (high-speed) inside and you can get all the speed you need!

If you want more speed please consider to use 1394 (firewire) -->www.1394ta.org

kind regards!

Just done a embedded design with hi speed usb 2.0. I think the only way to connect to usb host chips like this is with PCI, just to let you know, don think PCI is that common with embedded system MCUs.

I used a chip from philips ISP1561, and later also the 1563 one. They worked fairly OK with just some small problems that you need to know about, important to check the errata. We decided to by a stack then the development effort going into creating one is just to large. Check On Time rtos, they have one with source that was easy to port.

regards Me

predrage said:
When communication is 480 Mbit/s you have a big amount of data. What you planed to do with this? Where you will store data? Or you are planing to use microcontroller as some kind of interface?

I will store my data on USB hard drive, I planed to plug to my device with USB host

Added after 5 minutes:

mobile-it said:
If you have an EHCI controller you can go in High Speed mode.
The best there is are the controller from Intel (they are also used for USB-if certification) --> usb.org.

So just search for EHCI / UHCI or EHCI/OHCI USB controller and you can go in full speed mode.

Be alert that you go only in EHCI mode of the high speed controller when you plug in a high-speed device (EHCI controller in this device) otherwise the controller will work on full speed (OHCI or UHCI).

Don't buy/use a UHCI or OHCI controller those are full speed only.

conclusion: Go and look for an EHCI USB controller, plug in a EHCI device (most USB HDD's will have EHCI (high-speed) inside and you can get all the speed you need!

If you want more speed please consider to use 1394 (firewire) -->www.1394ta.org

kind regards!

Thanks. So I realize I need EHCI controller.
But don't you think Intel USB host chips are all comes with PCI-integrated? I don't plan to use PCI. Just need simple bus with dma support.

Added after 13 minutes:

aslm said:
Just done a embedded design with hi speed usb 2.0. I think the only way to connect to usb host chips like this is with PCI, just to let you know, don think PCI is that common with embedded system MCUs.

I used a chip from philips ISP1561, and later also the 1563 one. They worked fairly OK with just some small problems that you need to know about, important to check the errata. We decided to by a stack then the development effort going into creating one is just to large. Check On Time rtos, they have one with source that was easy to port.

regards Me

PCI is not so common for embeeded devices (yet). There are a lot of general purpose embedded proccessor are not come with PCI bus. I use one of it. I think, common microprocessor bus (address/data) will be anougth for my design. Of course DMA controller will be used. Yes, I use one of CPU without PCI controller, but with DMA-controller :) I look to ISP1761 usb host. It's look like appropriate one.
Yes, we are going to buy a stack too. Don't you know something good or bad about Jungo USB stack? **broken link removed**

You are right INTEL chipsets are mostly integrated on PCI cards or motherboards;

maybe you can have a look at this:
**broken link removed**

or you can buy a EHCI device (like EHCI harddisk) and reverse engineer the device to see what chip they use :)

kind regards.

BTW: the chip you don't need is called: ALI (very bad)

I think the cheapest solution will be a Prolific chip

I have used the junge driver development kit for PC usb drivers earlier and that worked with no problem. Has not tested any of their stuff for embedded system and can't say anything about that.

The platfor we used was a bit odd and we needed source code to the stack. In the end we decided to use one from On Time, I think it was 4000euro or something. It has worked great and the support has be perfect during the work porting the stack. I also checked with philips and they wanted about 40000euro for their solution.

One problem migth be that most of the stacks that I have seen are built for a PCI solution and might need major rework if you are using som other bus.

regards Me

hi dizel

checkout this link,might help you in finging a USB host chip for embedded applications.

**broken link removed** Speed USB Solutions -->

I think you can use TUSB6250 from TI .It have high speed USB 2.0 .

Hey USB can't provide consistant stream speed up to 480 Mbps (60MBps). It can only provide bursts of transfers. If you are so lucky you may get a transfer rate around 5x MBps (in dreams only).
FireWire is the better interface than the USB. Anyway USB exists only becuase of it godfathers (Intel) support. If you are looking for high consistent data rate FireWire is the better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.