Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Speed Laser Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimkumar

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am designing a laser receiver for detecting a rotating laser( less than 1us pulse at 600meter), now am using reverse biased photo diodes as it gives highest speed due to low capacitance, but
why most of the good companies in this field uses photo diode without any biasing?

A 1us pulse isn't high speed. I have designed quite a few high speed laser receivers and they always have reverse biased photodiodes. Where do you find the opposite to be true?

Keith

I guess it depends on what you consider to be high speed. However, even at low speed the signal to noise ratio can suffer due to high photodiode capacitance which can be reduced by increasing the reverse bias. Some application notes here may be useful

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

A lot of my circuits are for laser rangefinders where pulses are 20ns to 40ns and so speed is important. Normally I am choosing the smallest photodiodes to get the lowest capacitance as well as reverse biasing them.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.