Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High side switch base/gate drive question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughmanoid

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I considering ways to drive a high side switch without using an isolated supply for a gate driver.

The first stage of my project is to chop 300 to 450 volts DC with a high current IGBT or Darlington emitter/source follower down to a maximum of 170 volts at several amps (15 or less). The switched side will feed a 200 to 500 millihenry toroid and a capacitor (TBD based on load and H bridge in stage 2). Details are evolving from my earlier posts so I won't elaborate here.

1: I have several VICOR isolated DC - DC converters (200 to 400 VDC in, 15 (or 24) VDC out) that I will need to protect from overvoltages. They will power the high side gate drivers with several amps if needed. I have solved that problem but it is complicated and messy.

2: I am wondering if anyone has used a dozen or more forward biased high current silicon diodes between the power input and the collector/drain of a NPN darlington or NFET or IGBT to provide 10 to 15 volts to drive the base/gate ? Since the diodes carry the full current of the rest of the circuit they will have to dissipate several watts and may be stud types bolted to a heat sink. Regulation is not critical. If I use overkill on the diodes, I hope to simplify this part at the expense of a dozen or more watts of wasted heat.

3: I may use a SMPS boost to to a specific voltage or even add ano3:ther inverted boost SMPS to get a relative minus 5 volts to turn the gate off hard.

4: if I use a Darlington, I assume I will need fewer volts (diodes *.7) but will have to account for current pulses into a base rather than current peaks as seen into a gate ?

I recently picked up a few isolation tranformers, an isolated variac, and a 500 VA isolated transformer that takes 120/240 in and puts out 240/480 depending how I connect the split primaries and secondaries so I can control the volts as I work things out.

Any thought would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian in Santa Cruz.

1. Isolated power supply is the classical means in high power electronics. The DC/DC converter is usually designed into the gate driver modules.
2. Due to the involved power losses, noone seriously considered this solution
3. Negative gate voltage is also standard in high-power IGBT applications, apparently small power IGBT circuits (home appliances and similar) are working acceptably without it.

I would try to supplement an industry standard bootstrap gate driver with an auxilary circuit that charges the bootstrap capacitor as long as the output isn't switching (with 0 and 100% duty cycle). Fortunately, the static quiescent current is only in a 100 µA range. Charge pump circuits have been suggested for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.