Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

high side mosfet driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekman1

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I would like to use a mosfet driver to enable the high side of a H bridge.

the driver vdd max ~18v the input is 3.3v logic, it should swing from 0 to vdd-.025mv

the supply voltage of the h bridge is applied to vdd.

Provide that I meet the gate turn on requirerment, would this turn on the highside?
I noticed that some devices are label high side, but in my situation they can be used for high or low is this true?

thanks pwr

Can you be sure 3.3V will fully turn on your mosfet? There may be mosfets whose gates are designed for that, I don't know. But the ones I've used need something like 5 or 10V to drive the mosfet to its maximum conductance.

The gate V is referenced to the more positive or more negative terminal, depending on whether it's N-channel or P-channel.

If you use an N-channel in the high side, then you need to guarantee the source (negative) terminal will see a clear path to ground.

Will there be a motor and another mosfet intervening? Then consider using P-channel devices in the high side. Then the gate will be referenced to the drain (positive) terminal. It will see a clear path to V+.

Either that, or boost the volt level at the gate of the N-channel device high enough to guarantee it will turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.