Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High side driver design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gracie

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
high side driver

Hello Everybody:

I'm designing a high side driver for power MOSFETs. I'm planning to use the bootstrap method. Does somebody have any idea on it, especial on the design of the level shifter and the signal generator.

Any suggestion will be very welcomed!

Thank you!

Gracie

high side bootstrap

Hi
I have a full bridge topology that has two high side and two low side
I use IR2110 driver.

high side drivers

Hi,
I am using a TLP250 opto-driver for low and high sides.
High-sides power supply is made with bootstrap diod and capacitor,
but you can make it with separate power supplies (transformers).

high-side driver

Hi. what u are saying is that with TLP250, we can drive high side and low side of full bridge(H-Bridge) without separate power supply? This reflects my mind back to where i saw in a working circuit in which only transistors setup were used in place of TLP250 to drive full bridge inverter using same power supply. Now, i should consider experimenting with the transistors setup just incase i don't have access to TLP250 cos i live in a remote village.

high side driver

Someone tell me how to go about in designing the high side/low side drivers in terms of transistors rather than telling the solution in terms of IC as it doesnt make us to learn how it got designed..

It would be great if anyone is interested to explain this in clear cut detail.

Santom

tlp250 design

see this file.i think it is useful to u.

tlp250 schematics circuit

Hi Srinu9009,
Thank you very much for the erply.But I am afraid to say that I couldnt understand better from the file you sent me.Could you spare sometime of yours in explaining the operation of the gate driveer circuit by drawing a schematic of it probably.

If you explain the driver ciruit for the full bridge, it would be great..

Santom

high side driver bootstrap

Hi santom

Read through slup169. They have discrete solutions for HS driving as well as IC.

HS driving starts on page 20.

**broken link removed**

full+bridge+tlp250

Yes, a good suggestion. It gives a good overview of possible circuit designs.

As a special point, the discrete floating HS driver isn't good suited for push-pull (H-bridge) output stages, cause it inverts the control signal, switching on with zero control current in level translator. It's probably O.K. with single ended switches as in the example, but missing fail-safe behaviour may be problematic with push-pull. But it can be modified of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.