Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High power IGBT driver with a 15A peak current

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitron

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
High power IGBT driver

Hi All,

I need a high power IGBT driver (about 4-5W per channel) with a 15A peak current (1200V IGBTs). I need to parallelise 3 IGBT legs (driven by the same driver).
In the past (2-3 years ago) we had problems with the Eupec drivers (spurious short-circuit protection triggering..., very, very annoying...:cry:). Maybe they are much better now, I don't know since we gave up.
The Concept drivers are power limited (at least the old ones)...

So I am looking to develop a driver from discrete components...
I found some promissing IXYS driver which can sink about 30A but I still need the DC/DC converter and the fiber optics.

Do you have some DC/DC converters (-40° 85°C) you can recommend?

Do you have some fiber optics you can recommend?

Any caveats?

Best Regards and Many Thanks for your input!

Re: High power IGBT driver

The Eupec driver modules are good quality in my opinion. Did you observe only "spurious" signals at the fault output or also error latching that needs a reset?

The latter could be due to inappropriate dimensioning of external RC components for the Vce-desat circuit.

Did you consider commercial DC/DC modules for your discrete built driver solution? They require a high (> 5kV) isolation voltage for a 1200 V working voltage, and you should assure, that no partial discharges are caused by the imposed high frequent AC voltage of the highside driver. I'm not aware of DC/DC module that has a respective specification.

If you analyze the isolation design of the Eupec modules, they have actually plenty of built-in safety. It's hard to compete with commercial DC/DC modules, I think.

Thank You for your reply.

Concerning Eupec, yes, the error was latched and the equipment stopped and that was very very nasty since the problem occured once a day or one a week. And no, I can assure you it was not the RC values. We still do not know what was exactly but we tried a lot with the RC values. Maybe it's just a very rough, noisy environnement.

Concerning the commercial DC/DC converters for such a driver I will be very gratefull if someone could recommend me one of this power and temperature range -20+85°.

Do any of you have some hints about the fiber optics used in an IGBT driver (same temp. range)?

Regards

nothing wrong with Eupec drivers.. used them for years with great results. even in very rough noisy environments.

if you look at IGBT-Concept product brochure you will find options that use fiber optics. look closely and you will see what part numbers they used from Avego. the reason they use Avego is because of the first pulse correction technology which is essential ifyou're communicdating PWM.

fiber optics is fine in your environment as long as you can guarantee AMBIENT temperatures of less than 85C and follow appnote on how to drive the fiber. caution.. they drivers get hot!

DC/DC converters are difficult to find off the shelf for this type of application. i would recommend that you design one yourself using planer transformer so that it is simple to physically build (winding a transformer is a problem for DIY).

in addition to FvM comments, you must design your DC/DC converter to be with 1pF of primary-to-secondary capacitance.

IXYS also offers complete driver boards that you might be interested in if your like their products.

Mr.Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.