Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Impedance Sensors Interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

natmag

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to interface a high impedance pH electrode using an LMC6462 op-amp. The LMC6462 op-amp is a high impedance op-amp with an input bias current of 150fA. The input pin of this op-amp is surrounded with a guard ring such that the op-amp is guarded from any leakages and supposedly the pH probe potential is measured. The circuitry is cleaned thoroughly to ensure that ESD does not effect the input stage of the opamp as well. I am having trouble in getting the necessary measurement readings. On connecting the LMC6462 op-amp to the sensor the output of the buffer saturates negatively instead of giving the required 177mV reading. It is as if the op-amp has a lower input impedance than the sensor (500M) and thus the potential measurement cannot be read. This result occurred even when the op-amp was changed.
How can one please avoid this from happening and guard the LMC6462 input stage? Please help ...how can I measure from such a high impedance sensor?

Thanks

The OP is basically fine for a pH sensor. I guess something else is wrong. Are you sure that the pH electrode is O.K.?

Show your circuit.

Yes the pH sensor works fine when tested with an off-the shelf pH meter.

This is my circuit's schematic

I am buffering both the reference and glass electrode as I need to measure both using an ADC in my MCU.

Yes and to be more exact it looks like this

Thanks

Short W2 and omit U3. There's no need for a differential buffer, neither can it work, both inputs will be just floating beyond the amplifiers's specified common mode range. Or do you have an electrode connecting the liquid to circuit ground?

I have an electrode connecting the liquid to circuit ground, which is offset by 1.024V such that the op-amp only sees positive voltages.

Why is R1 not being guarded..the high impedance node is connected to the input of the amplifier which is guarded

CX and R1 aren't shown in your schematic. What are they good for?

I included Cx so as to try to eliminate the parasitic capacitance of the Coax cables and also serve as protection from ESD for the op-amp input.

R1 is being used to obtain the membrane resistance of the pH probe, although for now it has been omitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.