Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High-gain Op Amp open loop gain test circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lego256

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
op amp gain test

Hi everyone,

I have to test a high gain (100dB+) op amp as accurately as possible so I tried the circuit on page 5 of this course :
**broken link removed**
using a nulling amplifier. It is quite widely used over the internet.

But couldn't make it work.
The high gain of the op amp tested makes the DUT oscillate because of his own noise I think. And as I need a close loop gain as precise as possible, I need well matched resistors and I can't therefore have a huge ratio between them, around 10000 is a maximum. So the level of E0 I look for as output is a few millivolts and a 2V oscillation is... very disturbing...

Anyone has ever tried that kind of test? How would you do it?

Thanks !
Lego

op amp open loop gain

I don't know your aim of this op amp. If you use this op amp as a part of close loop. Perhaps the mismatch of different resisters is a primary reason.

how to measure op-amp open loop gain

I failed to notice that the test I do is of course a DC gain test.

The nulling amplifier is supposed to set the output of the DUT amplifier to \[-V_{SRC1}\] (+ the nulling amp offset) so I know the DUT output voltage value. Then the DUT input voltage is \[V_{0null}/A_{cl}\]. So I know about the input then I know the open loop gain, \[\frac{V_{SRC1} \cdot A_{cl}}{V_{0null}}\]

Unfortunately, \[V_{0null}\] oscillates...

measure op-amp open loop gain

Lego256,
Here's another way to measure/calculate open loop gain.
Connect the OpAmp in an inverting amplifier configuration.
Let
. Ri = input resistor
. Rf = feedback resistor
Set Rf/Ri to a value that is high, but lower than the expected open loop gain of the op amp by a factor of 10. For example if you expect the open loop gain to be 1^6, then set Rf/Ri = 1E5. You might have to experiment to get a factor that works best.
Accurately measure the closed loop gain. If noise is a problem, connect a capacitor across Rf to implement a simple 1st order low pass filter.
Let
. Ao = Open loop gain
. Ac = Closed loop gain.
. B = Feedback Factor = Ri/(Ri + Rf)
Ac = (Rf/Ri)[AoB/(1 + AoB)]
Solve the above equation for Ao.
To avoid problems with offset voltage, offset current, bias current, measure the output voltage at 2 different values of input voltage. and calculate the gain by using Ac = DeltaVout/DeltaVin. This way the errors cancel.
Regards,
Kral.

circuit for measuring op-amp open loop gain

Sounds great.
Thank you very much Kral, I'll try that.

Best regards,
Lego

Using a 9V battery as a power supply for rails and another for your signal will help with the noise.

The null opamp test circuit can do the job to find open loop gain of the opamp. And the pdf link above was fail. You can goto read some book to find the way to use this great circuit. Give you some hint, Av=Vo/Vi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back