Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High Frequency VCO -- Capacitor bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkini19

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Why do we use capacitor bank in VCOs? is it for tuning ?

Hi,

good question.
Where is this "capacitor bank"? (We don´t see your schematic) In the tuning circuit?
* Yes: Then it is for tuning.
* No: Then it is not for tuning.

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

I was referring to many designs and I had some doubts.
if we are using a cap bank for tuning and then why do we use varactors.

Is it like fine-tuning is done by cap bank and coarse tuning is done by varactors?

Please let me know

1626964634881.png

Please take just as reference

Hi,

use the same document, read the next few lines and have a look at
Figure 8 Voltage Controlled Oscillator (VCO) output frequency as a function of the capacitor bank
control word

Klaus

Last edited:

The 3-bits capacitor bank is used for coarse tuning, when the varactor bank is used for fine tuning.

Coarse Tuning and Calibration.Every RFIC circuit has process variations and in order to compensate these process variations, a calibartion routine runs while initializing to maintain the VCO standard.

inductors are hard to fabricate in ICs.
Capacitors are easy to fabricate, and you can change their total capacitance by adding a varactor diode, or switching in other fixed capacitor values

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back