Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High-frequency transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

binaryninja

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone please help me understand high-frequency transformers application and use?

When observing car inverters that usually take in 12VDC and output 110VAC/60Hz or 220VAC/50Hz they use small little transformers. I'm assuming they are high-frequency transformers. Are they actually performing any gain? I mean are they stepping up the AC output at all from the input?

Also, say I'm designing an inverter using h-bridge inverter design or even an h-bridge converter. What is the difference in using a normal power transformer and a high-frequency transformer? Are the inputs to each a different voltage? Do you have to boost the DC input to the peak AC voltage when using a high frequency transformer or is it still running off the 12V?

When I look at all the posts for inverters/boost converters someone always suggests "just use a high frequency transformer". How do you use one? I can't find any useful info on the net. I understand SMPS, I dont understand how to use a high-frequency transformer in SMPS. All the high-frequency transformers I see online from distributors have small power ratings. If I want 200W at 110AC how can I use a high-frequency transformer?

THANKS! (please help me - this has been driving me crazy)

I understand SMPS, I dont understand how to use a high-frequency transformer in SMPS.
Most off-mains SMPS are using step down "HF" transformers, you can read about their dimensioning in many application notes and reference designs. Also core manufacturers have calculations tools for the transformers,

Can someone please help me design a step-up transformer for a half-bridge inverter???

Normall ....for input 12V. you need to boost up the voltage from 12V to 110vac or 220vac

Push-pull is the good selection..then using the half bridge to convert the voltage in AC ...

Status
Not open for further replies.