Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

high amps mosfet transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshh

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i am using pwm from mcu at frequency 5khz to drive 5 amp solenoid valve , could this mosfet **broken link removed** this high current with small heatsink?

Hi,

According datashhet the FET is able to drive at leadt 36A continous current. So 5A is an easy task.

It has Rds_on of 28mOhms. P=I^2 * R = 5 * 5 * 0.028 W = 0.7W. This you may multiply with duty cycle (simplified).
To this you need to add the switching loss. It depends on switching frequency, switching current, gate drive strength...

There are a lot of data missing... but i estimate power loss less than 1W.

If you try to keep temperature below 50°C at ambient temperature of 30°C it gives a temperature rise of 20°C.
So look for a heat sink with less than 20K/W (at free air).
If possible use a bigger heatsink.

Klaus

.7 W is quite small and i think the current should be multiplied by duty cycle which ranging from 0-90% so the dissipated heat will be less than 0.7 w . so i think that its temperature won't excced 50 C, right?
does this heat sink work ? **broken link removed**

Hi,

There is no tchnical data on the heatsink capability.
But according it's size it should be ok.

But it surely depend on your switching voltage and gate driver capability.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.