Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

hierarchical place and route with encounter

Status
Not open for further replies.

ludan

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi buddies,

let me try to briefly summarize what I do before illustrating the problem.
I have a design with 16 sub-blocks.
1) the design is partitioned and 16 partitions are saved
2) I work block by block doing place and route
3) when all the blocks are placed&routed I reopen the main design and do "assembleDesign" to reimport all the previous 16 elaborated blocks
4) now all the cells in the 16 blocks are placed and routed, I should do just CTS and routing at top level, right?
there are 2 ways (in my mind at least) to do this:
1) committing the 16 partitions thus creating fences, then do CTS and route (this takes me to a funny result: not all the parasites are extracted and the wires connecting the 16 blocks to each other are straight (no buffers in between).
2) the other method is to avoid re-committing the partitions and do CTS by using the PreservePin statement (this avoids that CTS changes what you did previously in each of the 16 sub-block). This just works fine. The problem is with the routing because not having partitions, I am afraid that all the wires are re-routed (takes a lot of time) although they were already routed in the previous elaboration I did block by block.
Shall I use a set_dont_touch somewhere?
Concerning the problem of straight wires (no buffers) between each block, do you think it is a constraint problem or am I missing something?

Thanks for your time and thanks in advance for reading/answering

Daniele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back