Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Hi-speed Design vs Signal signal Integrity

Status
Not open for further replies.

udhay_cit

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear friends,
I am using altium designer for my PCB design applications. I need to know the answer for following question. If you can Please help me...
Q1.What are the relation between Hi-speed & Signal Integrity? (Or is there any relation?)
Q2. Is it necessary to use both together?

Regards
Udhay

hi udhay,

high speed signal means it is depending on time for example data should be reach source to destination so need to maintain speed of data (that means time ) in that signal should not affect by some other interference like cross talk and EMI issues so that only signal intergrity (study of signal) important

Dear Kapil,
Thanks for the reply. I know basic about the Hi-speed Design (not much about Altium-signal integrity) & thanks for the explanation...
Hi-speed design is must for a PCB designer while designing for FPGA, DDR, GHz processor, etc..., But is it must to know about signal integrity?
Can i do one Hi-speed design without checking PCB for signal integrity?

Regards
Udhay

Dear Kapil,
Thanks for the reply. I know basic about the Hi-speed Design (not much about Altium-signal integrity) & thanks for the explanation...
Hi-speed design is must for a PCB designer while designing for FPGA, DDR, GHz processor, etc..., But is it must to know about signal integrity?
Can i do one Hi-speed design without checking PCB for signal integrity?

Regards
Udhay

In my experience it's absolutely essential to know about Signal Integrity, EMI, Crosstalk and other PCB design issues when doing high speed designs like DDR interface. For example, from my own experience a 10 MBps Ethernet interface simply won't work due to improper PCB design.

To more about this in depth, you can refer books by Eric Bogatin, Howard Johnson or Stephen Hall and Howard Heck.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Second that, you must ubnderstand the basic mechanics at least of signal integrity if you are doing high speed design.
AND what determines whether a designis hish speed is the RISE TIME of the signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back