Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS wave port impedance match

Status
Not open for further replies.

puionte

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
wave port site:edaboard.com

hello!
I have another question regarding wave ports. I've read in the Ansoft White paper that "wave ports are always a matched termination to a transmission line". What does this mean? If I have a transmission line with a wave port at either end, and I run a FREQUENCY SWEEP, then will the ports be matched terminators for every frequency in the sweep? In that case, I won't get much information out of S11. Could I set a fixed impedance for the ports?

thank you!

puionte said:
hello!
If I have a transmission line with a wave port at either end, and I run a FREQUENCY SWEEP, then will the ports be matched terminators for every frequency in the sweep? In that case, I won't get much information out of S11.
Yes, you will see almost 100% transmition and close to 0 reflection for the lossless
lines. The actual values will be a numerical noise and reflect you mesh quality.

Could I set a fixed impedance for the ports?
HFSS automatically does it for TEM lines which naturally have a fixed impedance. For lines with dispersion it nonphysical and means you will see some reflection but you still can do it using "Impedance" boundary condition.

puionte

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
thanks for the relpy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back