Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS transformer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcfk2

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss smith chart

Dear all,

I am a novice in HFSS and I encountered a problem trying to simulate a 4:1 transformer on a PCB and your advices/help will be very much appreciated.

Please find the attached zip file of the HFSS file of the 4:1 transformer.

The problem is that the simulation ran o.k.. But the S11 and S22 results do not agree with measurements, though S21 agrees reasonably well.

Simulation results said they are two independent inductor with no coupling between them. For instance, S11 in Smith chart looks like an inductor of about 1nH and S22 looks like a 15nH inductor. The experiment (via a network analyzer) said the S11 looks like a small resistance of a few ohms and S22 looks like a large resistance of one/two hundred ohms. The experimental results make sense because of the 4:1 transformation and I have other evidences to support the experimental results.

So the question is why the HFSS simulation results of S11 and S22 show in the Smith chart as if they are two independent inductors with no coupling between the two? Is there anything wrong with the setup?

Please note that the attached model shows how the balun is measured: one arm of the primary and secondary is grounded and signals are injected into the other arms. The centre tap is left floating. Shorting the ground of the primary and secondary only affects S21 but not S22 or S11.

Again your advices are very much appreciated.

Terence

hfss tramsformer

I cann't open the attached file,bless

hfss s11 s22

Did anyone ever figure this out? I am trying to simulate two inductively coupled rings, but I'm new to HFSS and can't find any examples that are helpful.

Does anyone know how to do inductive coupling in HFSS? What boundaries, etc. need to be set?

Thanks,
LFegely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back